Victim's Bill of Rights
In accordance with O.C.G.A. Chapter 17, the Georgia Crime Victim’s Bill of Rights, The Peach County Sheriff’s Office provides the following information.
If you are a victim or the family member of a victim of one or more of the following crimes:
- Armed robbery
- Assault / Battery
- Cruelty to children
- Feticide by vehicle
- Homicide by vehicle
- Reckless Conduct
- Serious injury by vehicle
- Sexual exploitation of a child
- Sexual Battery
Then you are entitled to know the following:
- It is possible that the accused may be released from custody prior to trial
- That you, as the victim, have certain rights during various stages of the criminal justice process
- That additional information about your rights can be obtained by contacting the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council at 404-559-4949
- That you may be eligible for monetary compensation for certain out-of-pocket expenses (from the State’s Emergency Fund) incurred as a result of your victimization;
- You may contact the Peach County Victim/ Witness Assistance Program at 478-825-8454 or the Governor’s Victim Assistance Helpline at 800-338-6745 for assistance or clarification of your rights;
- You must be notified, by the investigating law enforcement agency, of the accused’s arrest; and
- You must provide the Investigating law enforcement agency with your current address and phone number if you wish to be contacted. Pagers or cellular phone numbers are not sufficient.
Other Important Information
Any victim of sexual assault receiving a medical bill for the administration of a sexual assault kit should contact the Peach County Sheriff’s Office at 478-825-8637. If you receive a bill for any other portion of the exam please contact the Victim/Witness Assistance Program at 478-825-8454.